We do not accept suggestions. Every week, we are sent ‘suggested links’ from well-funded, large organisations and from individuals that have published a single blog post. It is not possible for us to link to fifty websites each year, please don’t ask. We list these websites to help members.
If you would like to link to LifeSIGNS, our web address is http://www.lifesigns.org.uk – You might like to use the following words to tell your visitors what we do:
LifeSIGNS is a forward thinking, user-led voluntary organisation founded in 2002. LifeSIGNS provides a variety of helpful resources, support and training to anyone affected by self-injury; including people who self-injure, friends and family, and health care workers.
England and nationwide
- provide confidential, non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide.
- We have always enjoyed learning from Samaritan trainers.
- NHS Direct
- NHS online advice service, and real nurses on 0845 45 45.
- We often read through their information, and call them when we’re unsure about an illness or wound.
- NHS Service Search
- Find a local NHS service to help you with self harm or whatever ails you.
- the leading severe mental illness charity for everyone affected by schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses. Rethink used to be known as the National Schizophrenia Fellowship.
- We always enjoy talking to rethink online and at conferences we attend.
- Depression Alliance
- working to relieve and to prevent this treatable condition by providing information and support services.
- We always enjoy talking to the people from Depression Alliance’s regional offices at conferences.
- Anxiety UK
- working to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding via an extensive range of services.
- Epic Friends
- you’re an ‘epic friend’ if you support someone who’s stressed or worse. For children of all ages, run by Sheffield NHS.
- helps people take control of their mental health. We do this by providing high-quality information and advice, and campaigning to promote and protect good mental health for everyone.
- We have blogged for Mind on occasion :)
- offers information, crisis care and emotional support.
- We always enjoy hearing from SANE volunteers at conferences, and we admire their ability to manage their email and phone help services.
- London Nightline
- confidential listening, support and practical information for students in London.
- Many students have volunteered for Nightline at their university, and we have trained several Nightline groups over the years, and learnt from them in turn. We were honoured to attend London Nightline’s birthday dinner some time ago, hosted by Esther Rantzen.
- For your university’s Nightline, you should check the National Nightline website, or look for posters around your uni.
- NAWP – Newham Asian Women’s Project
- working for women, working against violence.
- We’ve had the pleasure of training the NAWP team, and attending their largest conference in London, and it’s been really valuable to learn more about self-injury within the community.
- Streetwise – Support for young people in the north east
- offers online counselling to 13 – 25 year olds who live in the north east of England. Read the online counselling FAQ to find out how to get counselling.
- UK charity for people with eating disorders and their families.
- Men Get Eating Disorders Too
- A website and publicity campaign for men who have been affected by eating disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder) and associated exercise disorders (compulsive exercise and ‘Bigorexia’).
- BPD World
- support and information for people with Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Schizophrenia World
- support and information for people with Schizophrenia.
- national charity, independently working with and for people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
- Survivors UK (for men)
- information, support and counselling for men who have been raped or sexually abused.
- the National Association for people abused in childhood.
- Queer Youth Network
- national LGBT youth organisation.
- There 4 U
- Berkshire and acoss England; health & well-being information for clients of NHS, government agencies, Housing Associations and the voluntary sector in Berkshire and across England. An independent service run by the Patient Information Officer for and with the full support of Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
- Suicide: Read this first
- Incredible essay on the decision to end it all.
- Scottish Development Centre for Mental Health
- aims to achieve enhanced mental health and wellbeing for people in Scotland and beyond.
- We had the honour and pleasure of speaking at their ‘Internet and Mental Health’ conference in Edinburgh in 2010, meeting people who we have known (or who have known us) for many many years online, for the first time in real-life.
- Action on Depression
- support and information for people feeling depressed, low, stressed or anxious. Had the pleasure of meeting them at the ‘Internet and Mental Health’ conference in 2010.
- Breathing Space Scotland
- free, confidential phone line you can call when you’re feeling down.
- Choose Life
- national strategy and action plan to prevent suicide in Scotland.
- number of services and centres in various locations throughout the Glasgow area, helping to improve the emotional, mental and physical wellbeing of people of all ages.
- an organisations in Scotland working in the field of self-harm, particularly in the 16-25 year old age group.
- Mental Health Wales
- promoting choice in mental health.
- The All Wales Mental Health Promotion Network
- working together to promote mental health and wellbeing.
Ireland (the island of)
- national voluntary organisation dedicated to supporting the 200,000 people in Ireland affected by eating disorders.
- We had the pleasure of speaking alongside Bodywhys at a Scottish conference in 2010.
- Mental Health Ireland
- supporting positive mental health
- national centre for youth mental health.
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- one of the oldest voluntary organisations in Canada. A nation-wide, voluntary organisation, the Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness.
- Mental Health America
- the nation’s largest and community-based network dedicated to helping all Americans live mentally healthier lives.
- provides programs that address the areas of suicide prevention, deliberate self injury, eating disorders, depression, child abuse, loss and grief, family breakdown and parenting skills.
- Black Dog Institute
- a not-for-profit, educational, research, clinical and community-oriented facility offering specialist expertise in depression and bipolar disorder.
- ASeFo: Autolesion Selfinjury Foro
- ASeFo es una Red social de habla hispana sobre Autolesion (AL) formada por todos para acercar a la sociedad hispanoparlante información y un foro de expresión, formado por muchas comunidades, foros, sites… Un punto de unión de pacientes, familiares y profesionales
Cyberbullying and harassment
Undox me – when your personal information or pictures are published online by bullies.
Online safety - your privacy